Thursday, October 31, 2013

Day From Hell.. How fitting

Yesterday I was a fan of Halloween. I thought it was magical and fun and creative and just an awesome time to make memories. Then today I changed my mind completely. 

I'll back up.

My boys don't allow me input AT ALL on costumes. But I still have Mom-with-the-money-veto-power- and I use it. 
So after saying no a million times to their dumb/not ok/not school appropriate costume ideas we finally came to some compromises. 
Zane- Darth Vader
Brody- creeper (from the game mine craft) 
Now- I explained to Brody over and over and over- that a creeper would only be known to a very small select group of mine craft geeks like himself. To the majority of people he would look like weirdo cardboard box guy. He didn't care. Insisted that is what he wanted to be. So I start my Pinterest/etsy/online looking for the costume. Find some ideas, find a place to print off graphics and go for it. Cut and modgepodge, staple and measure Velcro- all sorts of work into this cardboard creation creeper. 
This morning happens. We begin operation put costume on and he starts getting grumpy. It's not comfortable. Well we talked about that!!! Then it was like reality hit and he was suddenly aware that his choice of costume was weird!!!! So he decides he doesn't want to be that! I tell him tough luck and off we go. He's all sorts of grumpy and mean and just rude. No acknowledent that I had spent a nice chunk of time and $$ on the stupid thing. We pull up to the school and he refuses to get out of the car. Embarrassed and sad and mad and crying. We drive off. And I'm fuming! Luckily my Mom is here so I was on my best mothering behavior. Take Zane to his party.
Nothing scary at his party so he had to hold off on Darth and be a police man from the dress up clothes. Refused to wear the fancy hat, or belt, or cool accessories- and insisted on wearing snow boots with his pants tucked in. Real lovely. Whatever. 
I drop him off and his teacher tells him he looks great and he says " this is stupid"
Ditto little dude!!!! By now I'm full board on the halloween is stupid Piegan, evil, teeth rotting holiday anyways and let's just protest it! 
Take Brody to WalMart to dig thru the random remains of costumes. He has another meltdown because there is nothing. And there really wasn't. Mom takes him to the car- sobbing!!!!!!!!!!! I finally snag a ninja costume and some un-needed swords and weaponry to try and sweeten the deal- feeling mad, unappreciated, frustrated but at the same time sad and guilty! And of course concerned that this is going to ruin his juvenile life. 
Thank Goodness he was ok with the ninja and the swords. Take him back to school. He missed the parade and his grade singing. Oh well. 

Meanwhile Preslie- the cutest gnome in the world- has ripped off 2 pieces of her costume that now need mending. Is screaming for candy at 10am, and her adorable gnome shoes don't fit and I'm genuinely sad about it. Mom and I take her to story time at the Library- and it actually went ok.. Until she saw some kid with a sucker and wanted one and we hauled her off to the car screaming.

Neighbors dog destroyed a Costco sized bag of dog food in the garage, and got into the garage trash. I called animal control. 

Hot apple cider spilled all over the back of the car.

I RAN over my stroller. Backed over it actually. The frame got STUCK under my car. Good thing it's titanium and somehow survived. Had to jack up the back end- alone- to get it out!!!
 I was late for school pickup. 

I shut the trunk door on my moms head!! 

Preslie fell off a tall kitchen chair (while trying to get candy) and got a bloody lip.

We gave out glow sticks instead of candy- Brody picked up about 50 and snapped them- making them glow- which isn't suppose to happen until your ready for them to be glowing- like when it's dark. I totally lost my cool. Holy crap. 

I am SO SO glad today is over!!!
Next year costumes will be limited to a maximum of 2 pieces, purchased at Walmart and in the category of barn animals. Holy. Crap. What a day!!!!!!!








No comments:

Post a Comment