Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Mean Mom

That's what I got called today. By my soon to be six year old. And I totally did not deserve it. I'm taddling.


Here's the skinny. Brody has had a 4 day weekend- I was really wanting to the flee the country but decided I better stay put. We have had fun- its been like the good ol days of just being home. Somewhere Brody has developed this fascination with star wars- so I finally embraced it this weekend and we watched the last 3 movies which are actually the first 3 right? And I learned that Annikan Skywalker is a boy, it's a light saber- not saver and I brushed up on my Jedi facts. We made a cool blanket fort and had a geek marathon and drank Yoda soda and even made a "Force" cake. I'm documenting this to prove my lack of bad -mom ness. Anyways- we pretty much did kid stuff all weekend and we were all happy.


The boys have chores. Small chores. Zane feeds and waters the dogs and cleans off the kitchen table and chairs. Brody empties all the garbages in the house and also cleans the mirrors in the bathrooms and vacuums. They both put away their clean clothes and have to clean their room together. I dont have set days they have to have these done by- when it needs doing I ask them and they are pretty good about it. (ps- another plea to my case- these are the "fun" chores in my book!)
So anyways yesterday I told them chores needed to be done- it didn't happen- they were playing great together and honestly I sort of forgot about them too. Well this morn I told them at breakfast that it could be a super fun day but chores HAD to be done first. I got the supplies out for them- they ran off. My niceness and patience was really wearing off. My friend asked if we wanted to swim- heck yes we did! I rounded up the lost boys and told them the deal. Chores then swimming. Excitement! We had about 45 mins until swim time. I showed them the cleaning supplies and set the timer for swim leave time and told them I wasn't going to hound. Chores needed to get done now. Well they didn't do them. I even reminded them IN my swimsuit to make the point. They just didn't do them.


We didn't go swimming.


Oh the tears. The fits of heartache and rage and unjust! It was truly a dramatic event. But gosh darn it JUST DO IT!


Brody was super duper sad and mad. He told me I was mean and not nice and a bad mom. Ouch. Really. I think that was really the first time he said mean things to me about me.


The dynamic duo finished their fits in their rooms and then guess what? They did their stinking chores!!


I think a family that works together plays together. Work hard -play hard ( I learned that from my Dad) and gosh darn it I will not have useless bums for kids!


When I went in to talk to the boys about the worst morning of their life (direct quote) Brody seriously said to me that the only reason I even wanted kids was to make them do chores. Hehehehe. I told him I use to think the only reason my parents wanted me was to make me weed flower beds.


Then I blabbed about how I was happy I had to work growing up because now I know HOW to work! He didn't care. But one day I think they might thank me.

Brody the storm trooper.

Zane pouting

Cute baby smiles

A self portrait taken by Brody.

He really does like me. I know it.

3 comments:

  1. Rotten kids...oh except no Preslie, she's a doll! That cracked me up that Brody said you had kids to do chores for you. Well, hello Brody, that is why I am having kids. So they can be my little cleaning slaves! I totally agree though, kids need to learn how to work hard and appreciate things. Way to stick to your guns! Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha!! That's FUNNY!! And sad. I can't believe they were SO sad about it! I do the same thing with my kids with the timer and all, but they don't seem to care if they miss out on their privilege!! But I guess it's never something as fun as SWIMMING!! :) And one day Brody will know we don't have kids JUST to do our chores....that's only 99% of the reason :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the drama of little boys! Sorry he hurt your feelings:). After putting Easton in time out this week, I heard him say that he hates his mom. I was suprised how angry and hurt that made me...he's just a kid for heavens sakes, but it did! I'm proud of you for sticking to your chore-guns:). I was raised the same way and am glad for it now. Easton doesn't seem to think its the best way either. Also kudos to you for the awesome Star Wars day!

    ReplyDelete