Thursday, October 4, 2012

Mind of their own

I was a tad crazy with Brody. First time mother craziness- I had an unrealistic vision of motherhood I think. Thank goodness kids are resilient to parents who know nothing and friends and family and husbands are forgiving of obsessed, skewed ideals of me :)
It has been an interesting time of reflection lately; our morning routine is fairly established and I've noticed something, most mornings when I tell Brody to get dressed he asks me to come pick out his clothes- not because he's super concerned about how he will look at school but because for the majority of his life, especially when he was little I robbed him of that decision making. I was way too concerned about him being cute and matchy and fancy then I was about him developing independence. Oops. And he didn't care. He didn't fight me much on clothes choices. But now I'm fighting him to exercise his independence and make his own clothing choices.

Then enters my strong willed, super opinionated Zane. This guy is all about his own ideas- being his mother has made me read parenting books, seek help from good parenting friends and pray for patience everyday. Don't read into this wrong- he is a joy. He is smart and funny and full of life and energy, but wow he pushes me to be better and to work hard at parenting. He becomes fixated on things- like particular clothing or shoes and I cannot distract him or change his mind- so I have struck a deal- Sundays I get to help him make choices but the rest of the week he can dress himself.
I cringe 6 mornings a week. Because I'm still me. But I refuse to battle and get frustrated over clothes. He will grow out of it... Right?
And one day I'll look back at these pictures and Zane and I will laugh.. A lot. These pictures are awful by the way, he hates to have his picture taken for no reason, I think he knows I'm documenting for future embarrassment.


Currently we are in cowboy boot fixation...
In Walmart..it was hot outside and I tried to convince him he would feel better without the over-sized rain coat and hat and church pants and boots.. 

5 comments:

  1. I know exactly how you feel! my 3 year old is obsessed with a pair of yellow rain boots. He wears them everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously the cutest thing ever! He will love looking back on this:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I love it! I went shopping with boy 2 and 3 adorned in helmets, breastplates, shields, and swords. I couldn't convince them to leave them in the car and was in a hurry. Instead of the usual "it looks like you've got your hands full", people were smiling and laughing. I am also hoping my kids grow out of this at least before starting school!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man those pictures made me laugh! I didn't know his outfits were that awesome! I just can't wait until Austin can dress himself and then he won't fight me about it every day. Then I guess I will have to deal with ugly, un-matching outfits :)
    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  5. These pictures were cracking me up! I remember last Christmas when we met at Kiwi Loco and you said that he was probably liking Easton because he had stripes on his shirt! So funny! Speaking of Christmas...are you guys going to be around? We should try to get together again if you are!

    ReplyDelete