Monday, May 9, 2011

Loud Thoughts

Ok, so here is what is on my mind:

Tuesday night I started the dishwasher-late. And it didnt work. It caused both sinks to back up with grossness and then it leaked under the sink. I was mad. Dev said he would fix it Wed. I cleaned up the 40 gallons of water with every lovely towel in my house, then washed the towels and went to bed.

Wednesday I had no sink, no dishwasher and no disposal. After waiting most of the day for the water to drain I poured a few gallons of draino down the sink, sure that would solve the problem. Then I cooked dinner adding to the pile of un-washed dishes. Devin came home and took it apart and looked at it- he made it stop leaking from under the sink. I tried to use the disposal. Mistake. Back to square one.

The rest of the week was too gross to re live in text so lets just get to the happy part about how today this cute old plumber came over and after 3 hours and big spools of magic plumbing stuff he made the sink work! I will be happy to do dishes. I did them in the bathtub and that is the worst. Just so you know.


Mothers Day was great and I got to sleep in and was able to listen to Brody and Devin converse about how to make the day special, Brody was planning a magical suprise party for me and listening to him was 100% perfect. It was a good day. Of course like all Mums I spent lots of time thinking about motherhood and evaluating myself, and Ill be honest, I think im doing a pretty good dang job. Cudos to me :) I hope all Mums can say that. Its hard work figuring out the right thing to do with these tiny humans that we are so blindly trusted with. Dont get me wrong, I have my short-comings but compared to the good kids Ive got the good out weights the not good. Here are some things Ive decided about myself and parenting.


Im a yes Mom and proud of it! If my kids want to make a potion or play in the mud or turn the hose on when its freezing cold im going to say yes. Im also ok with 4 extra hands when im cooking dinner or trying to do some home project, definatly ok with it when im cleaning or wrapping presents or folding laundry. Also ok with crafts that involve glue and sparkles and paint any day of the week. Because I cant really think of a good reason to say no. Sure its messy and cold but thats all fixable. Yep things might take a lot longer but whats the hurry? (On the other hand when Brody asks to play with matches I give that the big fat N word.) I do have a bit of a philosophy, yes is a positive word that we really dont use the right way or nearly enough. Life in general is full of regualtions and rules and all types of No's, being LDS adds to that list, these are not bad things and I am fully aware of their importance, But I dont want the DONTS to over rule the DO's. And I want my no's to mean something, to help in a clear understanding of what I think is ok and what isnt. AND I want the boys to know that chances are I will be on board with a crazy idea they might have so they will ask and not be sneaky, if it is a no we will chat about why.  So YES yes and yes! A side note, this has caused some great discussions between me and Devin :)


I think about the future of my kids way too much. Its natural im sure. With Brody starting school so soon I stress non stop about the influences of others and how this new world will impact him. Have I done enough to teach him right and wrong? Have I instilled in him a strong identity so hes good with being him and not anyone else? Heres my big one. I dont ever EVER want my kids to be the cause of hurt feelings of someone else. I am baffled at the issues of bullying that are so frequent and common. How to make it stop? Well it begins at home 100% Shame on those parents who dont put a stop to things like name calling the moment it starts. I know some things are typical kid stuff. Stupid is a naughty word at our house but it happens. Here are things that will get you in more trouble then you can imagine if I hear them at my house. fat,ugly,fag,loser,gay, any negative comments about someones appearence, race, or clothes they are wearing. Taking the Lords name in vain. Right now I havent had to worry about any of them except the FAT word. Is this ok in your house? Is it a common word? Are any of them? When talking about homosexuality how do you address it? Even when its among other adults? Because if these are common household words shame on you! I know without a doubt eventaully as parents we will deal with all of these and so much more thanks to a lack of parenting and a twisted sense of normal that so many children are a product of. I suggest establishing your own personal zero tolerance policy at your house right now for when that word comes out of a cute mouth.  Heres a big struggle. I want Brody to be nice and friendly to everyone. But at the same time I want him to have the judgment instilled in him to make wise decisions as to who he picks as friends. Its been so nice and easy up until now, he is friends with my friends kids, its perfect :) But Im about to send him into the real world, dont worry I will stalk the playground during recess and spy on him to see whats going on but he is really about to use his own judgment. Have I done enough?

4 comments:

  1. What lucky and blessed boys are Brody, Zane, AND Devin! Wish I had always had your patience and insight - and patience :) -- Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nichole...I miss you. Plain and simple as that. While reading your posts, I can actually hear you speaking these words and I love it! Thanks for your insights here! We are having major problems with naughty words at our house right now and I am trying to figure out how to make it stop! I am really glad I read this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish all parents thought these things! Then we wouldn't have to worry. I think I need to adopt your "yes" policy and quit saying no so much. I guess it's kind of hard when Austin doesn't quite understand just yet. But I think you are so right about that. You are such a fun mom and also a very wise mom. Your boys (and hopefully future girl) are lucky :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. as long as you're okay with pipsqueak directed towards mario I think that yes, you have done enough :) I love you and will testify to what a yes mom you are. it's great. it makes me say yes more often and I'm all about it because sparkly mud is way more everything (going to say fun but it's more fun and more memorable and more special and more awesome too) than cleanliness. and I truly truly believe that raising children that are kinder than I am will be my greatest accomplishment in life and contribution to the world. being nice to her friends doesn't count (though it certainly is important). I mean being nice to all those people that are hearing those terrible words thrown at them and need to know that people are on their side.

    ReplyDelete