Tuesday, August 7, 2012

I could be a ninja

Preslie has had a rough night and day- and I'm pretty sure we are in for another rough night.. She's cutting some teeth and is clearly a wimp.
I have not showered today and when the doorbell rang not only did I not answer it,but I also hid.. Just in case. I have mostly held my fussy emotional miss while refereeing the boys and trying to keep the damages of boredom to a minimum. It was definitely one of those days where I had to focus on level one of Maslows heirarcy of needs: food; check- all you can eat cereal, yogurt tubes (I seriously cannot think of what they are actually called) snap peas, and peaches. Water; check, the hose is easily accessible. I also managed to make sure we all had some sort of clothing covering the essentials. We squeezed in a nice long walk so that should jump me up into social needs and maybe even self esteem fulfillment according to Mr.Maslow. However, im curious to know where acts of desperation fall into his scheme.
After peaking a fever of 102, refusing lunch and then puking up my lunch attempts, Preslie indulged in a nice long cry before drifting off to sleep. I was holding her, standing up- we had been pacing the floor for who knows how long- after a while longer of walking, I was sure it was safe to attempt operation baby in bed.
I proceeded to her room and began to lower her into her crib- she flinched and did the jumpy baby flailing of the arms, I stopped mid decent and froze- to terrified to actually proceed with the lowering to the crib- so mid air, all hunched over the crib thanks to the new safety laws deeming drop side cribs unsafe- apparently back throw outs are much more acceptable, anyways, I decided that if I slowly lowered her into her bed it would work.. So ever ever so slowly I got her into her bed. Slight baby thrashing when she realized I was no longer holding her, I held my breath and waited.. And waited.. And got light headed so took a breath.. But she was in bed!! Next was operation leave the room. Unfortunately Preslies door has a squeak- yes she is 9 months, yes the squeak has been there long before her arrival, yes it's been on my list, no it hasn't been done. The trick to avoiding the squeak is careful door knob turning combined with precise and exact door opening skills- pretty sure holding of the breath is also required- I managed to get the door open, let myself out, and get the door closed again. Ahh- big sigh of relief. I could have a shower! Just as I was about to enter the water I heard my PHONE chirping over the baby monitor!!!!!!! It was in her room. Curses! Who in the heck would have the NERVE to call me at 2pm when my phone is in the baby's room? Some people! So operation open door and get phone out needed to be done again- this time while holding a towel. I cracked open her door and she was sitting up in her bed- still all drowsy, I knew she would go back to sleep of she didn't see me.. Not wanting to risk another phone noise, I did the thing that made sense- I slithered across her floor on my belly to avoid being seen. While sort of trying to keep my towel on. Mission success!
Seconds after closing her door again, my blasted dogs unleashed their canine furry on something they saw out the window- the barking woke her up.
I gave my dogs away.
Just kidding. But I was MAD.
I surrendered to un-showered baby holding for the rest of the day. I had to count my blessings that Zane took a nice long nap and Brody was at a friends house and the realization that I have some pretty awesome mother ninja skills :)
It made me smile to think about the truly absurd things parents do for children- things so nutty and weird but we don't even second guess our actions.

5 comments:

  1. I adore you! Seriously, your blog posts crack me up every time. You are one awesome ninja mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! That was an awesome story. The things we will do to get children to sleep! I wish you had a hidden camera in your house so you could show Devin your ninja skills.

    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome and oh so familiar!! Gotta love days like those!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was laughing through most of this!! I've done the exact same thing laying my girls down. I finally get them to sleep,lay them down, and then very slowly crawl out of the room

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is actually Heather, but I am too lazy to log out of Jason's account and log into mine...I seriously cannot believe she is already over 9 months! It seems like she was just barely born! Crazy! She is a doll and I hope she is feeling better. Teething is the worst.

    ReplyDelete