Monday, May 7, 2012

Fountain Of Youth

Or something. Saturday I woke up with a killer earache. It was bad. And weird. I popped some Tylenol and went on with my day. It was Cinco De Mayo after all and no earache was going to keep me from celebrating with my fellow Hispanics. Ok- not really "fellow" but I chalked it up to a cultural experience and me and the kids participated in the parade and festival (another plug for how great Evanston is as a community) anyways- the ear throbbing dulled down for most of the day but reared its ugly self Sunday Morning.
Oh Sundays. Last week the bishopric spoke- always a treat- I mean it. One of the talks was opened up in regards to being on time for meetings. It was a great talk. BUT clearly given by a man who had 6am meetings so of course he was on time for church- not to mention that he left his darling wife to deal with bathing, breakfast, ironing, finding church clothes, dressing, packing diaper bags, church bags, lesson materials, and hair do's not only for herself but also darling children they co- created. Anyways- I just don't think you will ever hear a latter day woman ever preach about punctuality. It really was a good talk and something to aspire too... When I retire. Ok so the earache was still there. The previous night I had tried the pinterest prescriptions of olive oil, vinegar, garlic, hot towels and heating pads. All lovely and organic and useless. I turned to my left over pain pills from labor. It was that bad! And I was about to embark on my Sunday calling of teaching gospel principals to 3 year olds- if you have not had the opportunity to teach a sunbeams class go to your kitchen right now- take out your blender and carefully prepare everything you need to make a delicious fruit smoothie- then turn it on full power and leave the lid off. Beautiful chaos right?? It's sort of like that. Careful planning, good preparation, best of intentions and then - a total disaster :) but I love those kids and I think they are learning... Sort of. Anyways, I needed to not start off with a painful obnoxious ear. This morning it was still ever present. My self diagnosis of 'adult swimmer ear that would cure itself' was becoming obviously wrong. I called a few family docs who were gracious enough to get me in in the next 2 days or so (insert silent cry for more family practice docs everywhere!!) then I called my hero pediatrician and sobbed my ear pains to her fantastic receptionist -who by the way has some impressive arms- the girl is buff- she said to come in!!! So I did. The pediatrician took a quick look in my ears and throat and proclaimed I did indeed have an ear infection. In order to give me a perscribed cure to my woes she needed my weight. Oh lovely- your use to dealing with mini people who top the scales at 65 lbs and you want me to step on up??!!! But I did - then to be funny I asked her what percentile I was in :) anyways I picked up my perscription and some clearance nail polish and then did a quick browse to see if the drugstore happened to have my soap (cuticura- totally awesome) a soap I use specifically for the purpose of keeping my adult acne at bay- they didn't. But here I am, nearly 30, still dealing with ear infections and zits!!! It's not fair!!! Screams my inner 13 year old self. But here's my hopes and dreams, I will deal with these ailments but in return I do not want wrinkles or gray hair. That's the trade off. In spirit of my new found youth I'm going to go lock myself in my room, listen to a mix cd of The Cranberries, Alanis Morisett, smashing pumpkins and techno while I try a new recipe for a face mask I got out of seventeen magazine, then I'm going to paint my toes, plan out my outfits for the coming week, try some new hairstyles, talk to my BFF for a few hours, yell at my brothers for picking up the phone during the convo and making farting noises, not start on my homework until 1am, and then deep condition my hair.
Oh ya- those days are long gone. Thank goodness!
Instead I will do the dishes, get my kids to bed, put in more laundry and snuggle with Dev. And whine to him about my ear and zits.

2 comments:

  1. Your blogs posts just make me laugh! What percentile am I in? Ha! I have only had an ear infection once that I remember, and I just laid there and cried because it hurt so bad. Wouldn't it be nice to be a teenager again sometimes...well just the no responsibility part! Or when you are sick, you stay home and lay around and your mom takes care you! Miss that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya. Just when you can't seem to take any more a nice little ear infection or a plugged duct comes along (just saying...) Hope you're feeling better!!

    ReplyDelete