Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Confession

I have been cleaning out every nook and cranny, drawer and closet. It has been refreshing and productive and messy. I haven't gotten very far. I have a heck of a time staying on task- for instance- cleaning out the closet and I find a roll of film- real film from the olden days, so I stop what I'm doing- leaving the contents of an entire closet spewed all over the floor and leave immediately to Walmart to have the film developed. While at Walmart waiting for the film I decide to buy some drawer organizers. The film is done so I head home- I look at the pictures from old rexburg days and it reminds me of old roommates so I search for a few on Facebook, in one of the pictures I am wearing some AWESOME boots, and I become obsessed with finding them so start digging thru totes of old skinny clothes that I hope to one day fit, in search of the boots. Of course during this all I still have my kids who need me, fortunately they are happy to help dig thru boxes. We take a break for lunch and i get frustrated trying to find the apple slicer and then remember my cool drawer organizer that will solve my frustrations im sure, so I organize the drawer, then decide that all the drawers need a total 180 to make my entire kitchen run better. I start emptying the contents. Preslie is making a huge mess out of the closet stuff that is all over the living room So i head back over to work on the original project- a while into it I come across a big box of shoe polish, weather protectant spray, leather cleaner and other shoe care- and I can't help myself, I must polish, protect, and clean the entire families shoes, and then I become obsessed with the missing boots.
You see where I'm heading- I wonder if they still make "focus factor"

So a bit ago I started on the boys room- that project is actually pretty much done, in the process I moved all the furniture around but had a problem- frog. Frog needs 3 outlets, one for the pump, the heater and the light. Well that was putting a huge kink in where I wanted furniture.. So I did something.... I started toying with the idea of not being a frog owner.. The boys only like frog when they want to scare someone- usually a girl visitor, or when they want to torment frog by making him ride on remote control cars or swim in the sink- they really don't pay attention to him. Frog also eats live crickets which is really an awful thing for me to have to participate in multiple times a month. Frog is also very social (so I have read) and likes to be around other frogs. We use to have 3 but the other 2 escaped and we found them all dried up and scary. So all of these reasons led me to post an ad in the Evanston classifieds asking if anyone was an existing fire belly toad owner and interested in having another one. And wouldn't you know it I got a response!!! So a few days ago I put frog in a plastic container, punched some holes in the lid, gathered up his favorite frog belongings like his hiding log, some trees and rocks and I took frog across town to a nice girl who appeared to be operating a small zoo inside her home. She was thrilled. She told me how she has 4 fire bellies and some tree frogs and a huge terrarium and even breeds her own crickets- that sent me running. But frog will be happy... Right?
However- I didn't tell Brody and Zane anything about this. Not sure where that falls with the parenting experts but I had my reasons to keep it on the down low. Right before Christmas I gave away a broken bike game thing that plugs into the tv, I found a family that could fix it who would have a lot of fun with it and who was low on cash. Well the lady came to get it and Zane earned himself a Grammy for most heartbreaking performance over a BROKEN toy. It was unreal. Sobbing, tears, true sadness. All over a toy that had been in the furnace room for 6 months collecting dust. The lady picking up kept looking at me and then Zane and then saying its really ok, I can leave it. And me screaming over Zane's wailing- TAKE THE TOY!!!!!!'n so she did. And probably felt really crappy about it. Oops. So I wasn't about to tell the boys I was giving away ribbits. After I left with frog I told Dev to run the tank to the trash. He did. He was in full support of the plan. So it has been about 5 days and guess what- no one has said a dang thing about the missing frog!!!!!!! Still thinking up a reasonable honest explanation for when the question comes up. I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. That was just really funny! I do the same thing when I start organizing stuff. It drives me crazy! I'm curious to know what happens when the boys do realize that the frog is gone!

    ReplyDelete