Sunday, April 28, 2013

Sunday Rant Part II

Is ranting breaking the sabbath?? Hope not.
It's probably an unwritten rule that you shouldn't blog when angry/frustrated.
But I am,and I'm going to blog anyways.
I'm 1st councillor in YWs. All is well.
In February our ward had some switch ups and we got a new RS presidency- leaving the Primary with no chorister. Yikes! Right?! That's fairly major and needed and necessary.
They asked me and another YW counselor to cover music time for a bit until someone was called. No problem. Happy to help. And I genuinely am.
It is now nearly May. We still don't have a chorister. The effort has been made. The calling has been extended multiple times and then nicely declined. I don't know the who's- or the why's- but holy moly it frustrated the living day lights out of me.
For one- who says NO to a church calling?!?
Remember how the LDS church is this massive organization that functions solely on volunteers???!
SOOO... In what world is saying NO allowed?! See previous post on my thoughts on being willing to accept callings.
For two- our primary presidency has been in for a long time. One just had a baby- goes to school full time and works FULL TIME! You want to battle with her about how busy you are?? You will lose and feel like the fool you are.
Another one is about to have baby 4 and has been in the primary organization for 6 years- possibly longer. 6 years straight. Not any intermediate callings in between. Primary. Achievement days. Primary. Primary presidency. The 3rd member of the current presidency is about on the verge of a serious breakdown. I hope she doesn't read my blog. But it is a justified meltdown. Her little person just came into sunbeams in Jan. the transition is NOT going well to say the least.
These ladies, along with some fantastic teachers (Dev has been faithfully teaching the 10&11 yr olds for a long time)and wonderful pianist come and teach our children with love and patience. They spend precious time on lessons and sharing times, they have magnified their callings. I am realistic- i know that Primary is hard. If you are a parent with primary aged children Sunday is a nice "break" a chance for seldom adult interaction- a breather from the world of children and all that comes with it. If you are older maybe you feel like your primary dues have been paid- or that it has been so long since you dealt with those 12 and under that you would have NO idea what to do. I think primary should have clear lines of expectations and a well defined "finish line" But I am convinced that our current primary have been forgotten about. If it ain't broke don't fix it attitude. That's not ok. Their willingness is being taken advantage of. Their organization has been pushed to the bottom of the priority list.
Point of my rant #3- primary is more important then what most people think. That right there makes me MAD and I think is the root of the problem.
You know who the teenagers are that are most set in their faith? The ones who attended primary. Of course so many other factors play into that- but Primary is the foundation for a lifetime of gospel learning and developing a testimony in children- which then prepares them to continue that growth and knowledge as teens and adults. It is not daycare.
It is not simply something to entertain children while adults attend meetings.
Primary is a divine organization. Just as important and necessary as relief society and young women's and young men's and Sunday school. I feel like our ward does not share this opinion at all. And it is beyond frustrating. Primary needs some serious attention.
Sometimes I like to pretend I'm in charge :) and if I was- I would close primary in our ward.. Just for a bit. I would announce in a nice pleasantries that primary will not be held and that parents are responsible for their children. I would state that it is a divine organization that functions only when there is a willingness to serve- and that's not happening- so good luck parents! Good luck to all of us. Without primary where is the learned behavior of reverence achieved? Where do you first experience those tender feelings while singing a child's prayer? Where do you learn stories from the bible and the Book of Mormon? How wonderful are the skills of learning how to behave in a classroom setting before you start school? The multiple blessings and benefits that children attain from singing and learning new songs. Primary is so SO much more then what most think. Shame on them.
I might scream if one more Sunday passes and a new chorister isn't called. Not because I'm itching to stop doing it- but because that is an incredible opportunity for growth and service ands way to bring such a positive change to so many lives and there are individuals out there refusing to accept those blessings.
What in the world is going on?!

Other Sunday happenings-
Preslie hates nursery.
We were home for all of 3 minutes and Zane sprinted to the backyard and went "sledding" down our hill in his white church pants.
Our dogs got into the trash during church- in the trash was green sparkle acrylic paint from pre-church crafting- there was green sparkle dog paw prints ALL over when we got home. Mad is an understatement.
Preslie threw a fit about walking around with a Sippy cup of green smoothie. I used my best parenting skills and just let her have her bratty screaming crying way and walk around with the cup- the cup that I had to pull the plastic thing out so the smoothie would actually come out- well she left it on the couch sideways and it leaked. Everywhere.
Devin worked today. Church with 3 kids is not fun. Not even a bit. Not one morsel. In fact- I loathe it. More appreciation for all those parents who brave church solo with children. Yikes.
I was going to make some yummy pork chops for diner. Between the paint, the scrubbing effort to save Zane's pants- Preslie cutting teeth and being the crying-ist baby EVER, my primary rant and single motherhood at church- pork chops were traded in for raw veggies and frozen pizza. I burnt the pizza.
This too shall pass.
We do have some delicious sugar cookies.

1 comment:

  1. Huge hug and hats off to you! Rich has been working Sunday's for the last 3 years, so I totally get the 3 kids alone at church thing. I too and in YW and will be going on 4 years. We have a HUGE primary. Over 170 kids and that doesn't include our 3 almost 4 nurserys. We have 2 jr. primary's. CRAZY! But I feel your pain. We have a hard time getting primary teachers too, and I totally agree with you. As far as after church goes...I never good when Rich isn't home, cereal in our friend, and I always try to remember stories from Sister Moore with her kids while her kids were young and Jim was Bishop. Always makes me laugh. Hang in there, you are doing a great job. :) Put them to bed and have a bubble bath. You have earned it!

    ReplyDelete