Sunday, April 21, 2013

The why of it all

Devin worked 86 hours last week. In a 6 day span. I did my Mom stuff, I hit the gym at 5am,I lead primary singing time, volunteered at the school, had church planning meetings, and camp meetings and went to YWs on Tuesday, I had rehearsals for the ward talent show, watched friends kids, made a salad and a dessert for a fundraiser- plus laundry, chauffeuring, cooking, cleaning, paying bills blah blah. Busy. Busy.
But guess what-
EVERYONE IS BUSY!!!! So Put a sock in it.

We attended three hour church, I came home and made dinner then headed back to the church for meetings. I will be totally honest- I wanted to bake cookies, eat popcorn and watch any movie with my family. But instead I combed my hair, changed my high heels for flats, grabbed my 12 lb church bag and headed back- I have spent a total of 5 hours and 43 minutes at the church today.
Why? Why not just convince myself that family comes first and given our crazy week that I could skip this one out?
Here's why.
Payback.
I had two full time working parents.
I had an inactive father.
I had a mother who demonstrated to me my entire life that righteous desires and doings are overlooked by Angels.
I had primary teachers who were consistent and prepared,who taught with love and patience.
I had music leaders who- despite my lack of true musical talent- instilled a sincere love for primary songs and singing. Songs that have brought peace and happiness and the spirit into my life on a regular basis.
I had phenomenal youth leaders. Woman who exemplified what I could achieve and aim for. Woman who sacrificed endlessly their time and talents for emotional, dramatic teenagers. For free! People who offered prayers in my behalf- who loved and cared about my well being. I was raised by amazing, hardworking, loving parents and family- but I was brought up by a community of true servants of the Lord.
I am forever grateful for those thousands of hours of service spent on me. I am grateful for Gospel Doctrine classes that increase my knowledge as an adult.
I need my children to have those same experiences.
I want and need to be the facilitator of those things that I experienced. I need my kids to see and learn thru example.
I want to impact the lives of others and have them feel the same,when the time comes for them to accept a calling.
Fulfilling a calling is easily accompanied by stress, children, jobs, busy-ness, frustration, and even lack of knowledge.
Willingness. That's it.
Serve because you love our Father in Heaven.
Serve as you have been served.
Serve as you would want to be served.
Serve as you would want your children to be served.
And for petes sake SUCK IT UP!
That's ll



No comments:

Post a Comment